Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why Mama Homesteader?

We were fortunate to move into a nice little house ( a rental) last August after four years of living with relatives. We'll leave the whole ordeal behind as a footnote to our story. We're free to live as we see fit, and make our own choices without someone else second guessing.

Now that we CAN live as we see fit and finally on our own, I found myself  looking around and asking "This is it?" I started feeling uncomfortable with what I was seeing around my family. The pressures in the economy, the fast food trap that we constantly had found ourselves in, enviromental issues...all leading me to question what is was that I want for my family, and what I was seeing WASN'T it!! Like any mom I want them to be healthy and happy!!!

I read a book a few months ago (right after we moved in!) by Mark Frauenfelder called "Made By Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World." It struck a cord with me and described a LOT of what I was feeling.It also inspired me to try (and to fail) because all great "Makers" do so.

Hence my great experiment- What can one family do to change their lives while living on less than a quarter acre?
Call me Mama Homesteader, cause my journey's about to begin!

1 comment: