Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

   The other day I found a really good deal on apples, and decided that I would attempt to make applesauce (and can it!).  The majority of the apples were Jonagold- a cross between Jonathan and Golden Delicious. I had never had one before and I was pleasantly surprised! They were crisp, tart yet sweet, and had a heavenly intense apple aroma and flavor. They were definitely a treat!
   Originally when I made applesauce for my family, it was a chunkier version. The recent batch ended up being much smoother because I worked on it over two nights because of time restraints. But the end result is just as tasty. Yum!

   For my recipe you need:
   7 lbs of the apple of your choice, cleaned , peeled, cored, and wedged
   the Juice of two lemons

   Put all the apples, tossed in lemon juice, into a baking pan. Cover and bake at 350 F, until extremely tender.
And hour or so should do it.  After baked , mash with a potato masher for a chunkier sauce. For a thinner sauce, heat on the stove and mix until you get the desired consistency.
   Following correct water bath canning  steps and protocol, this applesauce could be canned after a 20 minute dip in 200 F water. I was pleased with the results! I ended up with seven pints of applesauce:)
   Notice: This applesauce has no added sugar or artificial sweeteners, no extra juice other than the lemon juice (in place of fruit fresh and the like),  and no added chemicals. While the apples and lemons were not organic, I did manage to cut out a LOT with a bit of my time. The sight of my kiddo digging into it and smiling, is well worth the effort.




    What are you doing to make a difference in the lives of your family?

    Cheers!- Mama Homesteader

No comments:

Post a Comment