Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Kleenex

 OK, so it's not actually homemade Kleenex per say. But it does serve the same purpose. Introducing Mama's homemade handkerchiefs!


  I've recently been recovering from a virus, only to have my toddler inherit my germs. Any Moms out there know what it is to deal with being sick, and taking care of a small child who is sick as well. No Fun! But in dealing with all fun of runny noses, I began to ponder my family's usage of store bought tissue. The one thing that aggravates me to no end is a tissue, (even the moisturized kind), that leaves your nose red and irritated. It's awful for most adults, let alone a small child! Secondly, I hate buying something for the general purpose of throwing it away. It's my new pet peeve as of late. Getting a  remotely decent tissue is likely to set you back a few dollars a box. And then you throw it away!
  In a new urge to be more thrifty and more Eco-conscious, I decided it was time that the family give good old fashioned handkerchiefs a try. They are inexpensive to buy, even cheaper to make, are washable and long lasting, and reduce the amount of waste we're sending to the landfill.
  It occurred to me that I had some white fuzzy flannelette stored away with my fabrics. It's durable and soft. So after cutting some of the fabric, and double stitching the edges- kiddo and I gave the homemade handkerchiefs a try. They work really well! And as an added benefit, Sarah tolerates them a little better than a paper tissue. Toddlers are notorious about not liking their faces and noses cleaned, so I will take any small victory. After an evening of using one of these homemade handkerchiefs, my nose doesn't feel like raw meat!
   I've made eight of these soft white hankies, and have enough fabric to make more if needed. But at this point, I have no intention of buying another box of Kleenex!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I love this idea. So much. Will have to try it, and soon.

    ReplyDelete