Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Where I began on the homestead journey.

So you get an awesome idea in your head, so awesome in fact that you write it down and figure out some of the details on paper.  All of you out there in internetland know what I'm talking about, because we've all had brilliant ideas that have captured our imaginations. You just CAN"T wait to get started because you're so excited about YOUR idea coming to life.

That's what it's been like, I've been excited about the prospect of my ideas coming to life....to the point of irritation. I'm not a patient person, when i get an idea, I want it now! But homesteading isn't like that, homesteading takes patience and time. A homestead is a work in progress, and every homestead has to start at the beginning.

So the idea in my head, in theory (and on paper) looks great. It looks easy. But looks can be deceiving. In all the excitement and after the decision to actually DO what it is that I'm visualizing, there lies the BIG question.

Where in the heck am I supposed to start?

The answer came in YOGURT! Yes, Yogurt, my friends. You know that stuff that usually comes in little tubs covered with foil, in all sorts of pretty colors and flavors. Not to mention preservatives and that little cup that may NOT be recyclable...its been so long I can't remember!

I'd been sitting on a yogurt recipe from Michele at Frugal Granola (http://www.frugalgranola.com/), since BEFORE we moved. I had the urge to try, but lacked the will power to try, and a candy thermometer (very important!).

Shortly after we moved in I bought the candy thermometer. I made her recipe, and I've RARELY gone back to store bought yogurt. I have the feeling of satisfaction, AND my wallet has loved me for it. At least in my area  a large tub of yogurt goes for at least $2.50, which is nearly the same as a gallon of milk. Which means I can make a GALLON of yogurt at home for the same price as a large tub at the store.

SCORE! Not only did I fuel my love of saving a few bucks in my budget, but I also had my starting point for my homestead. :)

 I will try my best to post my recipe (and pictures) of making yogurt soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment