Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Pressure Canning: First Contact

   I've never canned a thing in my life. So when my DH was home sick today, I upped my plans a day. As you recall, I made homemade chicken stock from a carcass left from Sunday night's dinner. I had planned on canning it Tuesday. With the Mark and Sarah safely watching Dora the Explorer in the next room, I dove in and gave it a try today.
   I prepped my jars, lids, and stock. Then step by step canned it per the instructions. It was scary at first, seeing as there are so many exploding pressure canner/cooker stories floating around. But after I started recognizing the clues mentioned by other canners, I felt more at ease. Actually, I can't even remember why I was so scared!! You've got to watch my "baby" in action:
 

  After all that fizzle sizzle, I let the canner cool down on its own. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought. After acclimating the jars, I set them out to cool for a few hours, and here is the end result- two pints of  beautiful, homemade stock! 

                    
                                           
I already have four quarts worth of squash ready to can Tomorrow:)
Cheers!
Mama Homesteader

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I played the video while holding Faelyn & she got real quiet!

    ReplyDelete