Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Housework, Gardening, and of course- SNOW!

   I looked out the kitchen window today and was repulsed by sight of snowflakes drifting about the backyard. Usually I find snow beautiful, but I'm done with it already!! Didn't Mother Nature get the memo? I mean really, the crocus and daffodils are coming up! Sarah found the first, most perfect dandelion just this past Tuesday! Aye, that Mother Nature is a cruel mistress....
   Everyone here is still feeling the effects of the "Bug" that swept through, but all are getting better. Sarah is back to her old rambunctious self. She adamantly insists that we go outside to "play in the dirt momma!". This had been her insistence since the end of last week. I can't blame her, spring fever has hit and the need for the outdoors is calling. I kept her happy for a day or two with a cake pan of dirt. She sat up at the dining room table and was quite content looking for "buggies" and "wormies". (We managed to find a baby centipede and a small spider.) But even that wasn't enough after awhile. So Tuesday she was feeling well enough to go outside, and although still chilly, I didn't see much harm in doing so. She played in her sandbox, and I hung up her new wind chimes and bird feeders. It was great to let her run off some much built up energy!
   My Mother's boyfriend, Dave, stopped by last Sunday to take a look at what I need help with in the backyard. There are various tree limbs and bushes that need removed to prepare for the garden. As of right now, I do not own all the equipment to do it myself.  (That will be a future investment.) Dave has graciously agreed to help me this year. At this point though I'm not sure when, seeing as there is a few inches of snow on the ground!
  So far, I've got all the seeds I'm using this year. I've opted to wait until next year for rutabagas, edamame, and shallots. These would need to be special ordered. I simply do not have time or funds to do so this year. I did however find Yukon Gold seed potatoes and seed onions at the local Walmart, which are now sitting patiently in a dark cupboard...
   I'll be starting my seeds this week.  I haven't yet figured out my lighting issues with my 4 tier greenhouse, or rather the lack of light for it. We moved the greenhouse into an upstairs bedroom in hopes that there would  be more light, but it seems that the roof overhang blocks most of it. Well, I guess I'll be brainstorming the next day or two for a low cost solution. But I'm confident I'll figure it out!
    It's also time to line up a tiller for warmer weather to get the soil ready. I've had to rethink my garden layout yet again, as Dave pointed out what I was trying not to notice (SHAME on me!) Behind my shed, there is a large part in full shade and will not be suitable for a vegetable garden. I haven't decided what to put there yet, but I have managed to redo everything. WHEW! Thank God for my garden planner. When Dave is here next time, I'll have him double check it. But so far, everything seems good!
    I've FINALLY gotten to the point that my kitchen is under control again. With being sick a LOT of housework fell by the wayside. I've conquered the bathroom, the living room, the dining room, the laundry, the kitty litter LOL. You get the idea. Now that the kitchen is just about done, that leaves the entryway and the bedrooms. Those seem like good weekend projects for when Daddy is home!! I finally feel like I'm getting order out of the chaos!

                                              Cheers! ~ Mama Homesteader

No comments:

Post a Comment