Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Great Clean Out

    A little over a week ago (March 20th to be exact), I had a very disturbing experience involving medications that I had been given for the "cold" I've had. I had been given amoxacillin, and took Naprocin for pain. Apparently I have developed an allergy to one or both medications. I woke up and found that my throat was swollen, and soon realized that I was gaging on myself. While not spectacularly life threatening, the sensation of choking on one's Uvula (that dangling fleshy bit in your throat) is one I'd rather  never have again. The ER doctor ruled it an an allergy to a medication that I was currently taking, which one is unclear, and that I add both to my list of allergies. Fine by me.
   Only it wasn't. As I thought more and more about the incident, it occurred to me that adding those medications as an allergy wasn't the only solution. Everyday we're bombarded by chemicals. In detergent, in medications, in lotions- well you get the idea. Everything we use on a daily basis is a chemical cocktail. Any one of which can cause health problems.  There has to be a better way.
   
 There was: I gave away all my chemical laden cleaning products.

    In my way of thinking, it could have been any number of  chemical combinations that caused my allergic reaction. It had been floating around in my head for awhile about switching to alternatives to all these various chemicals. I hated the smell of most of them, I hated that they were so harsh, and I really didn't want them around. Who knows what would happen should a little one get into them!!  They were also expensive and weren't as environmentally friendly as I was hoping our family to be. I finally decided to trust my instincts and make the switch. It has been a wonderfully freeing experience!
    I must have given away over two dozen bottles of various cleaners and unused bath products. I disposed of old medications that we had no had use for. I cut my (mostly unused) makeup stash by three fourths. There is no longer a single aerosol of any sort in my house. I freed up a lot of space, made my home safer, and lifted a lot of burden off my shoulders. And I didn't even know I'd been carrying the weight!!
   After a lot of research on safe, alternative cleaning methods- I created a new line up in my cleaning arsenal.


 Vinegar/Lavender Tincture All purpose cleaner  -  To a spray, bottle add two cups white distilled vinegar and two cups strongly brewed lavender "tea". Shake to mix. Cuts grease and kills germs really well. Vinegar is naturally antiseptic and so is lavender. (You could also use lavender essential oil in the mix. But the tea is cheaper!)) So safe, my Toddler could drink it and it wouldn't hurt her. (Except it would taste like vinegar!)

For tougher scrub jobs I add baking soda and salt, spray with vinegar then let sit. Usually takes care of more caked on messes. Like my stove! Indeed this is embarrassing, but when everyone has been sick- housework is lax I admit :( The right side was formerly like the left.



 Murphy's Oil Soap- a great plant based cleaner when something with some "oomph" is needed. Great for walls and floors. I used it in my bathroom with great effect. (Vinegar and baking soda work well as a toilet bowl cleaner!)

DIY dishwasher powder-  One cup Borax, one cup Washing soda, and  4 packets of lemon flavored kool aid (or a tablespoon of citric acid/fruit fresh). Works as well as the "Eco friendly" sulfuric acid containing liquid I used prior. Has fewer chemicals, and is budget friendly. I use vinegar as a rinse agent!


    I cleaned my bathroom and kitchen with these with no problems, and other than some initial vinegar smell- I didn't feel as if I should flee from the fumes. In my small bathroom it was a lifesaver! But do I feel freakish for switching? No. Although some might view me as insane for giving away all those supplies, and not having one instantly recognizable cleaner in my house. But truthfully I feel better about it.

    I pledge to live with fewer chemicals in my life. I may not be Ed Begly Jr. or Sara Snow in terms of Eco friendly, but I'm a HOMESTEADER. I am making better choices for my family with what I have and with what is within my means. Is it for everyone? No it isn't. But the concept of taking charge of what affects your family is. You have final say, and not someone else.


                                                           What inspires you?

                                                      Cheers! ~ Mama Homesteader

No comments:

Post a Comment