Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Winter in Ohio vs Compulsive Gardening

This has been one unusual winter here in Ohio. Or utter lack thereof. We've had little snow and the weather has been more akin to a very early spring than the heart of winter. Luckily we did get snow this weekend that seems to be staying a spell. Kiddo was happy yesterday to have finally gone out to play in it. Sled riding, snow angels,and  snow balls made for lots of fun with Daddy.

I have garlic growing out in the garden that bigger than anything I had last season. Hopefully it will still grow for me come spring's official arrival. But the un-winter like weather has me impatient, chomping at the bit, absolutely frothing for garden weather to kick off. LOL I've been busy putting in the effort to choose what I really want in my garden this year. Last year I primarily settled on plant varieties I could get my hands on at the local Walmart. Very few were heirloom, a vast majority were hybrids.  I had a bumper crop of squash, pumpkins, corn, and beans. But I felt  things could have been better.

 I was in LOVE with my heirloom Dutchman and Djena Lee Golden Girl tomatoes, while other varieties I could have lived without. So for many reasons I have decided to go the route of  95% or better of my garden planted in heirloom varieties. Going with heirloom vegetables is my experiment on getting away from sub standard GMO tasteless produce. I for one am not keen on GMO  foods (which is a whole different discussion for the future). Secondly, I want what is in my garden to taste good. I want my food to taste like what I remember from my childhood. A tomato tasted like a tomato, and not a bland pile of mush.

Heirloom seeds are not the only major revolution in this year's garden. This year I'm adding 7 additional beds to my 8. And they will ALL be made over into raised beds. This will allow me to have my garden elevated somewhat above the occasional puddles that develop in the low areas. My plants wont get drowned, and the clearly defined edges will allow for weedwacking to keep the yard tidy. (This is a must since I live in town!) PLUS the boxes will be filled with better quality soil to promote better growth. The raised beds will also warm sooner in the spring and allow me to plant sooner. But the biggest surprise to this years garden will be the addition of Gooseberry, Currant, Elderberry, Haskap, and Strawberry beds. Once established along with my black raspberries, my family will be able to enjoy fresh fruit right out of our own garden!

But while I've reached my limit of what I'm investing in my garden this spring, the planning doesn't stop  there. With Raised beds in place, I'll be able to construct quick hoops (and maybe one cold frame)  to extend my growing season into colder months. With determination I may be able to add several more raised beds next year. But a priority for next year will be the addition of cranberry beds, as well as a dwarf apricot tree and a dwarf cherry tree.

Sigh. If only spring would arrive instead of teasing us Ohio gardeners, then all would be right in the world!


                                     Cheers!~ Mama Homesteader

2 comments:

  1. I'm in North Canton - I decided to be brave and put out some 4-week-old kale and cold-tolerant brocolli under my new quick hoops on that 60-degree day we had a few weeks ago. It was doing ok until this weekend and I think I probably killed it, lol - I will have to peek under there today. So I have also been quite impatient this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well here's to hoping that your plants have hung on for you! This weather has been quite deceiving this year. Just when you think its safe to garden...then it snows LOL. On a blog that I follow (www.waldeneffact.org) Anna refered to them as Persephone Days. I'm hoping that the wacky weather won't have TOO much of an effect on this years garden. One can hope at least! ~Cheers Mama Homesteader

    ReplyDelete