Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Friday, February 24, 2012

The benefits of Shea Butter





Recently, I purchased  five pounds of raw grade A Shea Butter to replace some of the products found in my family's medicine cabinet.  For those of you who don't know what Shea Butter is, it is the fat extracted from the nut of the African Shea Tree Vitellaria Paradoxa. Commonly, it is found in the cosmetics industry and is used in lotions. It is also edible. In Africa it is used as a cooking oil, and in the chocolate industry it is sometimes used in place of cocoa butter.
Over the last few months, I've strived to eliminate many harsh chemicals out of my household. In Shea Butter I've found an all natural product to use as a moisturizer. It relieves dry itchy skin without leaving skin feeling greasy. It's gentle enough to use on my daughter, AND I don't have to worry about her ingesting any of it. (Which is a big deal when dealing with curious three year olds!)

I even added some to my last batch of homemade deodorant. I've found it to be an excellent additive to sooth the bumps associated with shaving. No more irritated underarms (EW!) And I also plan on adding some to homemade soap this summer.

With my Fibromyalgia I've used it as a massage for my joints and other areas of pain. It doesn't require a lot of rubbing (which I can't stand) to be worked in, and I find it to be very soothing. I'm also anxious to try out Shea Butter for nasal congestion. Apparently massaging some into the face can help relieve congestion by relaxing the facial muscles. My husband is prone to congestion, so this would be awesome if it worked!

And did you know that plain raw Shea butter is safe for your cats and dogs as well? We have a few of our feline friends who've struggled with severe itchy, scabby skin.  Within two applications of Shea Butter the scabbing has cleared up, the itchiness has dramatically increased, and their skin is now looking normal. Their coats are soft as kitten fuzz- and one of our cats Callie, is back to acting like a kitten! I've been so happy with the results that I believe that a bit of Shea Butter occasionally applied to your pet's coat is a wonderful gift for your furry friend.

I'm hoping that this is just the start of discovering the many benefits and uses of Shea Butter. I've fallen in love with it, and I highly doubt I'll be returning to store bought lotion anytime soon!

                                                  
                                          Cheers~ Mama Homesteader

No comments:

Post a Comment